Robeson appeals workers' comp award to wounded principal
Posted December 30, 2010
LUMBERTON, N.C. — Robeson County Schools has appealed a state commission's ruling that a principal who was shot last year on his way to school deserves workers' compensation for his injuries.
The state Industrial Commission ruled recently in favor of former Fairmont Middle School Principal James Hunt. Deputy commissioner Phillip Baddour III says it was more likely than not that the shooting was connected to Hunt's anti-gang efforts at the school.
The former Marine was hit by a shotgun blast in April 2009 by someone in a pickup truck who pulled alongside his Jeep Cherokee. Despite a shattered mouth and nose, Hunt drove 15 miles to a hospital in Lumberton.
In a July 2009 interview, Hunt said he was convinced his shooting was school-related and possibly gang-related. Two days prior to the shooting Hunt said he held a “Stop the Violence” rally at his school.
School district lawyers maintain that taxpayers shouldn't have to pay compensation because the shooting happened while Hunt was away from school property.