Local News

Roanoke Rapids man electrocuted by microwave

Posted January 18, 2012

A Roanoke Rapids man died Friday night after authorities say he apparently electrocuted himself with a microwave.

Elizabeth Garcia, 30, found her boyfriend, Arnaldo Samayoa, 32, unconscious on the floor of their Morgan Drive home Friday evening.

He was taken to Halifax Regional Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Investigators said they found a microwave oven with the shell removed, a screwdriver and two piles of screws, as if he were trying to work on the appliance.

The microwave had not been unplugged, authorities said.

46 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • fayncmike Jan 19, 2012

    "I hear that flux capacitors can store enough electricity to be fatal." TeenDAD

    1.21 gigawatts to be exact, Marty cvdurham”

    Are you kidding us??? Where the heck did you get that? The entire output of Indian Pont reactor #1 is only 1,028-megawatts. That’s MEGAWATTS not GIGGA WATTS. So what is your post, a lie or ridiculous? Look for yourself.

    http://www.lohud.com/article/20120111/NEWS/301100078/Length-Indian-Point-reactor-shutdown-unclear

    Get real!!!!!

  • Pseudonym Jan 19, 2012

    Quote from TeenDAD: "I hear that flux capacitors can store enough electricity to be fatal."

    FLUX capacitors only send you back to 1955 for a week. Or to 1885 for a few months. But only if you get it up to 88 MPH.

    All kidding aside, when your microwave breaks, 99% of the time you can fix it. If you have one of those expensive over-the-oven models, you can get a new magnetron for about 1/3 the cost of a new microwave.

    But you have to remember to UNPLUG IT FIRST!!

  • djofraleigh Jan 19, 2012

    Sue, the warning on the back does not say not to work on it while plugged in, or not having "authorized repair only" in spanish on the back.

    The man probably just forgot to unplug it.

  • djofraleigh Jan 19, 2012

    the headline is wrong...misleading...and meant to scare microwave owners into reading it. Man electrocuted while working on live wires.

  • wral mods blow close my account Jan 19, 2012

    "I hear that flux capacitors can store enough electricity to be fatal." TeenDAD

    1.21 gigawatts to be exact, Marty

  • MyThoughtsExactly Jan 19, 2012

    We never know how we will leave this world. The lending tree (old people)is not always the first to fall. My condolences to the family.

  • OneLove Jan 19, 2012

    oh no! How are awful! From what I understand, they can be very dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. Condolences to the family.

  • wral suks bauls Jan 19, 2012

    Step 1 to working on ANYTHING electronic.... make sure it's unplugged.

  • Squirreling Dervish Jan 19, 2012

    you can get a microwave for 10 bucks at most GoodWill stores...certainly does not pay to repair it...My condolences to the gentleman's familia..

  • mep Jan 19, 2012

    Microwaves are VERY simple devices. They use a transformer to convert normal 110 volts from the wall outlet to about 1000 volts, and a capacitor with a tube to convert the electricity to radio (micro) waves. This guy must have touched off the transformer output. Sad.

More...