Raleigh, N.C. — In an effort to ease holiday traffic congestion, the North Carolina Department of Transportation said Tuesday it will suspend major road construction from 4 p.m. Dec. 21 through 9 a.m. Jan. 2.
There are six exceptions:
- N.C. Highway12 in Rodanthe, Dare County, may have intermittent closures due to changing weather and surf conditions.
- U.S. Highway 17 Business in Jacksonville, Onslow County, is reduced to two-lane, two-way traffic on the Buddy Phillips Bridge over the New River for construction of a new bridge.
- U.S. Highway 74/76 in Wrightsville Beach, New Hanover County, on the Wrightsville Draw Bridge is reduced to one lane in each direction for construction of a new bridge.
- U.S. Highway 421 in Carolina Beach, New Hanover County, is reduced to one lane in each direction at Snow Cut’s Bridge for rehabilitation work.
- Cape Fear River Bridge and Cross Creek Bridge on Interstate 95 Business/U.S. 301 in Fayetteville are closed for bridge replacement with detour routes posted.
- Interstate 73 in Greensboro, Guilford County, will be reduced to three lanes in each direction from two miles south of Wendover Avenue (Exit 101) to 1 mile north of Interstate 85 Business (Exit 97) for construction of a new interchange.
For real-time travel information, call 511, visit the NCDOT website or follow NCDOT on Twitter.