Road closures planned for City of Oaks marathon in Raleigh
Posted October 26, 2015
Updated November 6
Raleigh, N.C. — The City of Oaks Marathon will cause some road closures in downtown Raleigh on Sunday. Thousands of runners and walkers are expected to participant in the marathon and half-marathon, which begins at 7 a.m.
The courses take runners to a variety of locations in the city including Fayetteville Street, the State Capitol Building, Glenwood South, Meredith College, N.C. State University and the N.C. State bell tower.
The City of Oaks Marathon and UNC REX Healthcare Half Marathon routes are the same for the first 11 miles. Marathon runners branch off onto the Capital Area Greenway at Meredith College, while half-marathon runners continue to Hillsborough Street and U-turn at I-440 before returning to the N.C. State bell tower.
The event also includes a 10K, 5K and Kids 1-mile fun run.
A list of street closures and the approximate times of those closures:
- Hillsborough Street closed from Pullen to Ashe: 7 - 7:30 a.m.
- Ashe Avenue from Hillsborough to Western: 7-7:30 a.m.
- Western Boulevard from Ashe to Dawson (westbound only): 7- 7:45 a.m.
- S. Boylan Avenue from Western to Morgan: 7-7:30 a.m.
- S. Wilmington from MLK to South St.: 7-8 a.m.
- S. Salisbury from South St. to MLK: 7-8 a.m.
- Capital Boulevard southbound at Peace Street exit: 7-8:30 a.m.
- Dawson Street from Lane Street to Martin Street: 7- 8:45 a.m.
- McDowell Street from Davie to Hillsborough Street: 7-8:45 a.m.
- Wilmington Street from Morgan to Peace: 7:15-8:45 a.m.
- Salisbury from Peace to Morgan: 7:15-8:45 a.m.
- Edenton Street from Wilmington Street to Hillsborough Street merge: 7:15-8:50 a.m.
- Hillsborough Street closed from Glenwood to Salisbury - 7- 8:45 a.m.
- Glenwood Avenue from Peace to Hillsborough Street: 7:10-9 a.m.
- Peace Street from Glenwood to merge with Clark: 7:15-9 a.m.
- Clark Street closed from Oberlin to Brooks: 7:15-9:15 a.m.
- Clark Ave from Peace to Oberlin: 7:15-9 a.m.
- Oberlin from Cameron to Hillsborough: 7:20-9:15 a.m.
- Brooks from Wade to Hillsborough: 7:30-9:30 a.m.
- Dixie Trail from Wade to Hillsborough: 7:30-9:45 a.m.
- OBerry from Brooks to Dixie Trail: 7:30-9:30 a.m.
- Clark from Dixie Trail to Faircloth: 7:30-9:45 a.m.
- Faircloth at Hillsborough only: 7:30 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- Hillsborough St from Pullen to I-440 northbound ramp: 4:30 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- Gorman Street at Hillsborough only: 7:30 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- Horton at Lake Boone Trail: 7:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- Blue Ridge from Homewood Banks to Crabtree Valley Ave: 7:45 a.m. - noon
- Crabtree Valley Ave from Blue Ridge to Homewood Banks: 7:45 a.m. - noon
- North Hills Drive between Northbrook and Old Village Rd.: 8 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.
- Hillsborough between Pullen and Hwy 440: 7 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- Hillsborough Street from Pullen to Blue Ridge: 7:40 a.m. - 1:15 p.m.
These downtown streets will remain open:
- Person Street (one way northbound)
- Blount Street (one way southbound)
- Wilmington Street from South Street to Morgan Street
- West Street from Peace to Edenton
- Harrington Street from West to Edenton
- Boylan from Hillsborough to Peace
- St Mary’s from Morgan to Peace
- Peace Street from Glenwood to Person
- Lane Street from Dawson to McDowell
- Jones Street from Dawson to McDowell
- Edenton Street from McDowell to West
- Davie Street
- Cabarrus Street
- South Street
- Lenoir Street