Residents to give input on Wake County schools' 2016-2017 budget
Posted April 5, 2016
Cary, N.C. — The Wake County school board has begun work on its budget for the next fiscal year and met with residents Tuesday night to discuss the numbers.
The $1.5 billion proposed budget was released last month and includes a $35.7 million increase in local funding, more than 75 percent of which is dictated by enrollment growth, prior commitments and the effect of recent legislative decisions, school officials said.
On Tuesday, school board members reviewed the documents and asked questions. The public also had their first opportunity to speak out about the proposed spending plan as well.
School officials said state and federal funding is still below pre-recession levels and, while money from the county is up, it only allows schools to keep pace with student growth.
“One thing that challenges us or constrains us is, we have to request so much funding just to keep up with growth,” said Wake County Public School System chief business officer David Neter. “Eighty percent of the request to the county for additional funding is not for new or expanding programs, but it is for the growth.”