Local News

Repairs to tornado-damaged Raleigh cemeteries might take months

Posted June 14, 2011

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— Cleanup and restoration of three of Raleigh’s historic cemeteries damaged during tornadoes on April 16 will likely take months, emergency management officials said Tuesday.

Crews said 48 trees fell on or broke more than 100 headstones and monuments, some more than a century old, in Mount Hope Cemetery at 120 Prospect St., Raleigh City Cemetery at 17 East St., and the O'Rorke Catholic Cemetery at 1101 Pender St.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency's Environmental Planning and Historical Preservation Team will bring in archaeologists to help determine what artifacts and relics may have been disturbed.

After cleanup is done, the dozens of damaged grave-site monuments will be repaired and erected again.

The city’s expenses for repairing the restoring the cemeteries will be reimbursed by a public assistance program implemented as part of the presidential disaster declaration.

Under the program, 75 percent of the repairs will be paid for FEMA, with the state paying the remaining 25 percent.

3 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • RB aka Spirit Warrior Woman Jun 14, 2011

    Liquid Nail works wonders on headstones...seriously!!!

  • Shuffles24 Jun 14, 2011

    Yet another government agency I've never heard of.

  • pinball wizard Jun 14, 2011

    At least the residents will not be bothered.

    As far as paying for it. The taxpayers are paying for the dead people to have a nice view.