Local News

Refrigerator malfunction prompts early dismissal at Grey Culbreth Middle School

Posted September 8, 2015

Map Marker  Find News Near Me


— Students were dismissed early Tuesday from Grey Culbreth Middle School in Chapel Hill after a drink cooler in the cafeteria malfunctioned causing excessive smoke.

A school spokesman said nearly 700 students and staff were removed from the school as a safety precaution just after 9 a.m.

"We saw it through the windows because the door was closed - like to the cafeteria. There was a lot of smoke," said Mayte Sosa, a student at the school.

Seven students and two adults were taken to a local hospital as a precaution, officials said.

"We were glad everybody was OK, that everybody has somewhere to go, and that they were going to be safely transported home," said teacher Shauna Martin.

Buses picked students up at about 10:30 a.m., and parents were able to pick up their students.

According to officials, school is expected to resume Wednesday.


Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all