Have an uncarved pumpkin hanging around your home? Southern Season in Chapel Hill has a tasty way to turn that Halloween decor into a yummy side dish. The store, which also has a location in Raleigh, features all manner of prepared and packaged goods, candies, wines and more. I highly recommend a visit! I will be sharing a few fall recipes from Southern Season in the next few weeks.
We're starting with this one for roasted pumpkin with sage.
Roasted Pumpkin with Sage
1 medium pumpkin, equals about 8 cups chopped
¼ cup olive oil
2 tablespoon chopped sage plus a lot whole leaves
1 cup canola oil
1 cup roasted salted pumpkin seeds
Good Balsamic vinegar for drizzling
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Set oven rack in center.
2. Cut the pumpkin in half and clean out seeds in the center. Cut into wedges and peel. Cut into cubes about 1 inch.
3. Toss all the pumpkin in a large roasting pan with the olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Place them in the preheated oven. Roast until just tender when pierced and beginning to brown, tossing occasionally with a spatula, about 30 minutes.
4. Remove pumpkin from oven. Peel the onions. Toss the onions with the vegetables and the chopped sage. Keep warm.
5. Put the oil in a very small saucepan on high heat. Fry sage leaves, drain and season with salt. Serve the pumpkin garnished with fried leaves, pumpkin seeds and a drizzle of Balsamic.
Go Ask Mom features recipes every Friday. For more, check WRAL.com's recipe database.