Raleigh, N.C. — Paul Inserra, the owner and chef of the American Meltdown food truck, knows his food. So we asked him to provide a great Super Bowl party recipe! Here's what I hooked us up with!
Homemade French onion dip
Time: 1 hour plus chill time.
Yield: enough for 6-8 if there are other appetizers around
What you'll need:
- 1 purple onion,diced
- 2 sweet yellow onions, diced or 4 cups of diced onion**
- 1 tbls dijon mustard
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 stick of butter
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Teaspoons Worstechire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 2 cups Greek Yogurt
1) Melt the butter and olive oil in a sauce pan.
2) Add the onions, garlic and sweat them in the covered pan for 15 minutes on medium heat.
3) Remove the cover, add 1 heavy pinch of salt plus the lemon juice and continue cooking for another 25 minutes on mid-low heat. Stirring consistently. the onions should become golden in color.
4) Add the mustard, cumin and worstechire and stir in completely, the onions should be soft and have a pasty consistency. If there is still alot of liquid, raise the heat and stir until it evaporates.
5) Pull the onions off the heat and let cool for 10 minutes at room temp. Stir in the the yogurt. Taste and adjust the salt to your preference. Let cool.
**If you despise chopping, or simply are not knife savvy, you can drop the onions and garlic into a food processor. This will cut down on prep time but affect the texture of the dip. But it will still taste great.