I featured Debbie Sawyer, the new owner of Flower Power Kids Cooking Studio at North Hills, this week. Today, Debbie shares a favorite family recipe, a perfect dish for cool fall days.
Grandma’s Favorite Chili
1 large onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 lb ground turkey or 1 lb beef
¼ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp ground oregano
¼ tsp ground turmeric
¼ tsp ground basil
1 tbsp chili powder
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
Tomatoes, several depending on size, chopped
1 (15oz) can red kidney beans
1. Saute onions, green pepper and garlic in olive oil until soft.
2. Add ground meat and brown.
3. Combine spices together into a mixture, then add to ground meat.
4. Add red wine vinegar.
5. Add tomatoes and let simmer, until tomatoes cook down.
6. Add kidney beans and cook for a few more minutes.
7. Serve over white or brown rice. Garnish with grated cheddar cheese, onions and sour cream.
Go Ask Mom features recipes every Friday. For more, check WRAL.com's recipe database.