Are your kids begging for chicken nuggets? Forgo the deep-fried, nutrient-free dish and instead opt for this delicious almond-crusted chicken fingers recipe.
Almond-crusted chicken fingers
Makes 4 servings
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
4 large egg whites
1 lb. chicken breast strips
1. Preheat oven to 475°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and set a wire rack on the baking sheet coated lightly with cooking spray.
2. Place almonds, wheat flour, salt and pepper in a food processor and process until almonds are finely chopped (1 minute).
3. While still mixing, drizzle in oil and process until combined. Transfer to shallow dish.
4. Whisk egg whites in separate shallow dish.
5. Dip and coat chicken.
6. Transfer each piece of chicken to the almond mixture and coat evenly. Place chicken on the prepared rack and coat with cooking spray. Turn and spray the other side.
6. Bake until golden brown, crispy and no longer pink in the center (20 to 25 minutes).
Susan Caldwell is the Raleigh mom of two and owner of Lil' Chef, a cooking studio for kids and teens in North Hills. Go Ask Mom features recipes every Friday. Check WRAL.com's recipe database for more.