With its first summer with camps and other programs for all ages, JC Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh is shaping up to be a busy place in the coming months.
The west Raleigh arboretum, part of N.C. State University, is not too far from N.C. State's campus and the N.C. State Fairgrounds. Here's what's on the schedule:
- Garden Storytimes start at 10:30 a.m., May 30. Grab your picnic blanket for garden stories, songs, movement and a craft to take home. Designed for ages 3 to 5 with an adult. The cost is $5 per child. Space is limited. Advanced registration is required. Register by email to email@example.com or phone, 919-513-7011. Storytimes also are scheduled at 10:30 a.m., June 13, June 27, July 11 and July 25.
- Can You Find Cami? is a new series that will feature activities such as honey tasting, flower pressing, butterfly feeders and more. It's scheduled for 10 a.m. to noon, June 5, and 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., June 14. The program is designed for all ages. The cost is $3 per child. No advance registration is required.
- Nature Detectives Summer Garden Camp is 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., June 16 to June 19, for rising first to third graders. Campers discover the gardens and the creatures living in them through daily mysteries. The cost is $190. Advance registration is required. Space is limited. Register by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 919-513-7011.
- Garden Photography Summer Camp is 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., July 14 to July 17. Local nature photographer, Susan Bailey, shares practical tips on how to take stunning photographs in the garden. For rising seventh to ninth graders. The cost is $175. Advance registration is required. Space is limited. Register by email to email@example.com or phone at 919-513-7011.
- Garden Critters Summer Garden Camp is 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., July 28 to Aug. 1, for ages 4 and 5. The cost is $155. Preschool campers will delight in learning about different garden critters each day. Advance registration is required. Space is limited. Register by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 919-513-7011.
Of course, the arboretum is open to the public from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., April to October. Admission is free.