Raleigh plans two fireworks shows for Fourth
Posted June 5, 2013
Raleigh, N.C. — Raleigh has been working on a revised plan for its Independence Day celebration since a move to downtown for "The Works!" last year was widely panned.
For 2013, the city will shoot off fireworks twice, Mayor Nancy McFarlane said Wednesday. A 9:15 p.m. display will be visible from anywhere on Fayetteville Street, and a 10:15 p.m. display will be visible from inside Red Hat Amphitheater and west of Fayetteville Street.
"Starting at about 6 o'clock, there will be free concerts in the amphitheater," McFarlane said. Three bands will perform.
While the 2012 event drew some 50,000 people downtown, those in attendance complained that the fireworks were not high enough to see over the buildings and that traffic and parking created hassles.
McFarlane said she heard and understood those complaints. By Wednesday morning the city had tested various launch sites to make sure this year's fireworks display would be more visible. The staggered schedule should also ease congestion, since not everyone will be leaving downtown at once, she said.
"It's going to be a great, great Fourth of July," she concluded.