Raleigh mom notified two days after daughter slapped at school
Posted December 10, 2013
Raleigh, N.C. — The Wake County Public School System says administrators at Athens Drive High School in Raleigh made a mistake by not informing a mother until two days later that an 18-year-old boy hit her 14-year-old daughter in the face on campus last month.
"Staff admit they unintentionally failed in that part of the process in this incident, but as soon as it was determined that a step was missed, the parent was notified," Renee McCoy, public relations director for the school system, said Tuesday. "Staff acknowledges the error, and the principal is working to ensure all procedures are followed in the future."
Holly Hadley says she was shocked to learn of the altercation when the school contacted her Nov. 20 after a counselor found out the girl didn't tell her mother about what happened.
"I guess the immediate question was, 'Why was I just now being informed?'" Hadley said.
Hadley also says a school official apologized to her and said it was a miscommunication among the staff. Her daughter did not have any serious health issues related to the assault.
The boy who hit her daughter, Quincy Wright, was charged with assault. An arrest warrant says he hit the girl with an open hand in her face, causing her left eye to swell.
Wright's parents declined to comment on the case Tuesday, saying they will wait until it goes to court.