Local News

Raleigh, mining firm reach deal on quarry

Posted February 4

— City officials said Tuesday that a decades-long dispute over a quarry in northwest Raleigh has been settled.

Hanson Aggregates operates the rock quarry off Duraleigh Road that has been criticized by nearby residents for years for the noise and dust it generates. Raleigh officials also balked over the years at Hanson's efforts to open a new mining pit south of Crabtree Creek.

Company officials said the long-running dispute created uncertainty as to how much aggregate the firm would be able to pull from the quarry, so they welcomed the settlement.

"The terms of this settlement provide the clarity the company needs to focus on our business and move forward with a more productive relationship with the City and the surrounding community,” Chris Ward, vice president and general manager of Hanson Aggregates Southeast, said in a statement. “We are pleased to be able to continue supplying our customers with high-quality construction aggregates from this site and remain committed to operating in a safe and environmentally responsible manner.”

Under the settlement, Hanson will end quarry operations at the site by 2054, and blasting there will stop by 2052 or as soon as 30 million tons of aggregate have been mined from the quarry.

Hanson also is prohibited from developing its property south of Crabtree Creek for mining purposes, although it may continue to operate its sediment basins there. The company also is forbidden from clearing timber from the property.

“Not only does the settlement allow the City of Raleigh to save the quarry property south of Crabtree Creek from a new pit, it gives the city a definite time after which quarry operations will end on all of Hanson’s land,” Deputy City Attorney Dorothy Leapley, who helped negotiate the settlement, said in a statement.

After quarry operations end, Raleigh has the option of acquiring for $10 the portion of Hanson's property that had been used for mining.

The settlement also gives Raleigh a permanent easement across Hanson property to connect the Crabtree Creek Greenway with nearby Umstead State Park. The city’s efforts to acquire property for the link were stalled for years because of the dispute with Hanson.

In addition to the easement, the City can immediately obtain 7.46 acres for a nature park or nature preserve near the confluence of Crabtree and Richland creeks.

Other terms of the settlement require Hanson to set up a plan to control dust from the quarry and take steps to limit noise, such as constructing a landscaped berm at the northern edge of its property and limiting blasting to 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays.

16 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • colourstylist Feb 5, 11:16 a.m.

    The quarry is my immediate neighbor. We just moved in and I don't hear all the noise people are referring to but how can I keep the dust accumulation down in my house and body? We have all developed sinus problems since moving in. The only solution I can think of is air purifiers for each room. That is costly,and slowly we are buying them. Maybe the surrounding homes could get discounts for air cleaners, everybody comes away with a little something. There are those small things you don't realize till you live somewhere. Nothings perfect and sometimes you have to take the bad with the good.

  • ILoveDowntownRaleigh Feb 4, 6:54 p.m.

    "Wake up! They were here doing what they are doing long before the city decided to grow around them. And they are exploding whatever materials they are using with government permission, under very strict rules and with everyone's safety in mind..."

    You may be right, wheelman. I personally have no interest in this quarry vs city case. I posted for 2 reasons:

    1 - According to the article, a group of citizens complained to the city (as is their right) that the blasting site was dangerous or disturbing to them. On their behalf, the City reached a "setllement" allowing the blasting to continue until 2052. IMHO, the settlement is so deferential and one-sided that I suggested (SARCASM) that the City should also throw in daily, coffee, cream, and sugar to the blasters.

    2 - I wanted to point out that "who was here first" is, IMHO, an infantile and absurd argument. None of us "were here first", unless you're a recently thawed paleolithic man.

  • Wheelman Feb 4, 6:26 p.m.

    "Disgusting to see his city harassing a Job Creator like this, and then we'll wonder why... View More

    — Posted by ILoveDowntownRaleigh

    Wake up! They were here doing what they are doing long before the city decided to grow around them. And they are exploding whatever materials they are using with government permission, under very strict rules and with everyone's safety in mind. Unlike you who appear to want to completely misrepresent their actions as if they have no right to be where they are, doing what they are doing and doing it without any permission anywhere they please. And I'll bet that if your job depended on them you wouldn't be posting a word against them.

  • tri123 Feb 4, 6:25 p.m.

    2054 is a long way away. While I understand the mine was here first, it's some lousy city planning that allowed homes to be built near it that couldn't withstand the blasting. Cracked walls, a cracked foundation, constant nail pops, and after a recent good one my baseboards are pulled off the wall on one side of the house. Homeowners didn't really know what they were getting into and no one protected the free market by making sure information was available to buyers. Today I could sell my house and I wouldn't have to disclose any of this (except the cracked foundation that won't be getting fixed) to the next buyer.

  • DoughBoy3 Feb 4, 5:23 p.m.

    "Under the settlement, Hanson will end quarry operations at the site by 2054, and blasting there... View More

    — Posted by ILoveDowntownRaleigh

    You wont catch those boys at 8am. They're hard at work while you're still in your bed slippers. I'm sure they appreciate your gesture though.

  • HeadsUp Feb 4, 5:13 p.m.

    What's in the deal for Hanson? I guess to be left alone by the city.

    — Posted by lec02572

    Exactly. Another generation or two of blasting without harassment from the city that grew up around the quarry.

  • lec02572 Feb 4, 4:58 p.m.

    What's in the deal for Hanson? I guess to be left alone by the city.

  • ILoveDowntownRaleigh Feb 4, 4:56 p.m.

    "Disgusting to see his city harassing a Job Creator like this, and then we'll wonder why Unemployment stays high." - concernedforourkids

    Well, I am also disgusted that the City would harrass someone who just wants to explode dynamite in the city!

    Anyone who wants to explode dynamite should be free to do so whenever and wherever they want, because, ummm, it creates jobs!

    :-) btw, just asking: can we carry concealed dynamite sticks, or do they have to be visible?

  • Wheelman Feb 4, 4:42 p.m.

    "Under the settlement, Hanson will end quarry operations at the site by 2054, and blasting there... View More

    — Posted by ILoveDowntownRaleigh

    Yes it is considering that it is private property and it was in the county when it opened in 1964 and the entire county population was about 170,000. They have been good corporate citizens, paid their taxes, provided jobs and helped grow the local economy for 50 years. Much of the aggregate used to build the roads and streets you ride on came from their operation. It's probably in the foundation and driveway of your home. Other than being here operating on a permit they applied for, paid for and received lawfully before the majority of us even thought about living here, what do you think they have they done wrong for you to scorn the agreement?

  • Concernedforourkids Feb 4, 4:36 p.m.

    Disgusting to see his city harassing a Job Creator like this, and then we'll wonder why Unemployment stays high.

    Not surprised by this stuff from Raleigh!!

More...