Local News

Raleigh house fire blamed on discarded smoking materials

Posted November 22, 2010

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

Map

— Raleigh firefighters battled a house fire at 324 Shellum St. around 2 a.m. Monday.

The owner was not home at the time, and no one was injured, according to fire investigator Lt. Adam Stanley.

About 75 percent of the house was damaged in the fire, which investigators said was accidentally set by improperly discarded smoking material.

11 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • Thought Criminal WS Nov 23, 2010

    No matter how you legislate, you can't fix stupid. It's called smoking because there's fire. No matter how you make a cigarette paper the reality of stupid / ignorant / negligent people starting a FIRE is there. I wish there were no fsc cigarettes so I can enjoy a regular. Let the dummies burn thier own houses down or kill themselves, they'll find another way no matter what you do and I don't want to suffer for thier stupidity before that day comes.

    When I rented 1 room of 5, it was the 1 non-smoker who started a fire with a lamp and burned the house down. He knew better than the rest of us dumb smokers and ignored our warnings about fire safety... just like many posters who know better.

    If we're going to have companies charge more for insurance the means of measuring who to charge more should be an IQ test.

  • jscletsplay1002002 Nov 22, 2010

    as for the liability mess being said, if that is the way it should be, in your eyes, then people who eat at McDonalds or any fast food should pay higher medical costs, hmmm!!!
    what about people who dont know how to cook and burn the kitchen down? and people whom use space heaters and christmas lights?? can we go on?

  • jscletsplay1002002 Nov 22, 2010

    the cigarettes are like that here too, they have rings that if you are not puffing on them, they will stop burning.

    note the article says a discarded "smoking material", it isnt giving specifics, it could have been hot illegal drug para... for all I know, in that neighborhood. I beleive there is a liquor house around there, could have been a cigar!!!!

  • godnessgracious Nov 22, 2010

    In NY the cigarettes put themselves out. Seeing as they are made here we could have them do the same thing. When I used to smoke it was slightly annoying if you stopped smoking for a minute you would have to re-lite it, but they don't burn down houses anymore. Wake up NC this is an easy way to prevent fires.

  • wildcat Nov 22, 2010

    Just be extremely careful in whatever you do. Be safe.

  • PhotoJ Nov 22, 2010

    Well, if insurance companies decide to charge more for smokers (which I am not) then they should also charge for people who use their stove to pop popcorn, people who fry turkeys, people who stand on chairs to change light bulbs, people who use water to clean floor, etc. All of these could be considered highly dangerous acts of negligence by folks who don't really think things through. C'mon folks, we all do things that in some form or fashion put us in harm's way. Let's not "over legislate" these kinds of things.

  • Caveman93 Nov 22, 2010

    Are not all cigarrettes FSC now?

  • Go Figure Nov 22, 2010

    the answer should be YES

  • Squirreling Dervish Nov 22, 2010

    The answer to both questions is "no".

  • Wacky_dood Nov 22, 2010

    Does the fire department charge to put out fires caused by negligence?

More...