Application dates are set for summer job programs for teens in both Durham and Raleigh.
In Durham, the city's YouthWork Internship Program is hosting six community-wide sessions starting this month to help young people complete the online application for possible summer internship.
The program now is accepting online applications for about 200 jobs available to those ages 14 to 24. Hourly wages range from $7.25 to $12, according to a press release. The jobs start in mid-June and run six to eight weeks. They'll also take part in a job skills workshop led by Durham Public Schools and professionals from local businesses and organizations. The application deadline is March 31.
Sessions to help young people fill out those forms are 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. on the following dates and locations:
- Wednesday, Feb. 15, TA Grady Recreational Center, 531 Lakeland St.
- Thursday, Feb. 23, Hoover Road Community Center, 1126 Hoover Rd.
- Tuesday, Feb. 28, Southside Community Center, 201 Enterprise St.
- Tuesday, March 7, Holton Career and Resource Center, 401 N. Driver St.
- Thursday, March 16, Durham Teen Center, 1101 Cornell St.
- Tuesday, March 21, Weaver Street Community Center, 3000 E. Weaver St.
Durham's website has more information about the program and the online application.
In Raleigh, the online application for the city's summer youth employment program posts on Feb. 15. Interviews start March 2. The application and interview period runs to March 31. The program, for ages 15 to 18, is designed to develop their skills and help prepare them for future employment. Teens work from mid-June to mid-August and get paid $7.25 an hour.
2017 Interviews are scheduled for 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. at the following locations:
- Thursday, March 2, Millbrook Exchange Community Center, 1905 Spring Forest Rd.
- Tuesday, March 7, Biltmore Hills Community Center, 2615 Fitzgerald Dr.
- Thursday, March 9, Tarboro Road Community Center, 121 North Tarboro Rd.
- Tuesday, March 14, Jaycee Park Community Center, 2405 Wade Ave.
- Thursday, March 16, Pullen Park Community Center, 408 Ashe Ave.
- Tuesday, March 21, Lake Lynn Community Center, 7921 Ray Rd.
- Thursday, March 23, Lions Park Community Center, 516 Dennis Ave.
- Monday, March 27, Marsh Creek Community Center, 3050 N. New Hope Rd.
- Wednesday, March 29, Halifax Community Center, 1023 Halifax St.
- Friday, March 31, John Chavis Park Community Center, 505 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Raleigh's website has more information about the program, the application process and the forms teens will need to apply.