Four Wake County school buses damaged in fire
Posted July 5, 2014
Updated July 6, 2014
Raleigh, N.C. — Four Wake County Public School System buses were damaged in a fire Saturday night at Southeast Raleigh High School, and authorities believe the fire may have been set intentionally.
"This is a suspicious fire. It is being investigated as that," said Kendall Hocutt, assistant chief in the Raleigh Office of the Fire Marshal.
An initial review ruled out an electrical short as the cause, Hocutt said, and investigators were reviewing surveillance video of the bus lot for clues.
Buses in the same lot were were vandalized and damaged earlier in the week, but it's unclear if the fire was connected to that.
Firefighters responded to Southeast Raleigh High School shortly before 10 p.m. Saturday and extinguished the fire in less than 10 minutes, authorities said.
They said blaze began behind the driver's seat of one of the buses and spread to the others.
The school system will reallocate buses from across their fleet to make sure there are no delays Monday morning, when some Wake County year-round students return to classes.