Quail Ridge Books brings in David Wiesner, Lemony Snicket, other award-winning authors
Posted October 14, 2013
Quail Ridge Books & Music, as usual, is lining up some top children's book authors and illustrators. It's a busy fall at the shop on Wade Avenue in Raleigh.
Here's what's scheduled with descriptions courtesy of Quail Ridge's children's department. All events are free and open to the public.
- 5 p.m., Tuesday, Oct. 15, the three-time Caldecott winner David Wiesner drops by with his new book "Mr. Wuffles." Sleek black Mr. Wuffles prefers an alien vehicle to his cat toys with comic results. Another dazzler from the three-time-Caldecott winner. For ages 4 and up. You'll need to buy Mr. Wuffles from Quail Ridge to have a book signed by Wiesner.
- 7 p.m., Tuesday, Oct. 15, the store will host a panel of children's book authors. Read my earlier post for more about that.
- 5 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 16, Adam Gidwitz is there with his book "The Grimm Conclusion." A third serving of eerie new landscapes and fear-inducing creatures, these Grimm-inspired fairy tales are sure to delight and frighten fans old and new. For ages 9 and up.
- 4:30 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 23, Brian Biggs stops by with his book "Everything Goes: By Sea." This third picture book in the series is a fun, interactive celebration of sailboats, submarines, and other interesting sea vehicles. For ages 4 and up. I'll add that a Go Ask Mom reader and her five-year-old son are very excited to meet Biggs and have been big fans for the last couple of years. She wanted to make sure I included his visit on the site!
- 7 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 23, Lemony Snicket's "When Did You See Her Last?" (All the Wrong Questions #2) is featured. The author of the hugely popular Series of Unfortunate Events is crafting a new series, All the Wrong Questions and will be at Quail Ridge for When Did You See Her Last? In this second book in the series, Lemony Snicket and his chaperone are hired to find a missing girl, and they are asking all the wrong questions. For ages 8 and up. Buy either of the books in the series to get a ticket for the signing line.
- 4:30 p.m., Thursday, Oct. 24, Mark Tatulli, creator of the comic strip Lio, visits with "Desmond Pucket Makes Monster Magic." Will Desmond's special effects pranks get him kicked out of middle school before the class trip? For ages 7 and up.
Quail Ridge is at 3522 Wade Ave., Raleigh.