Prosecutor describes harrowing ordeal in Oakwood home invasion
Posted March 20, 2014
Raleigh, N.C. — A Wake County prosecutor – as well as a victim – on Thursday described the harrowing ordeal that two Raleigh couples endured during a series of home invasions more than a year ago, including one in which the suspects shot a man and sexually assaulted his wife.
"You'll hear about all the shattered lives in the wake that the defendant leaves on this spree," Wake County Assistant District Attorney Boz Zellinger told jurors during opening statements of Jahaad Tariem Allah Marshall's trial.
The 27-year-old faces 23 charges, including attempted murder, first-degree sexual offense, attempted first-degree rape, first-degree kidnapping, robbery with a dangerous weapon and first-degree burglary, in the four cases.
Two occurred Dec. 26, 2012, and the violent home invasions happened Dec. 30, 2012, and Jan. 7, 2013.
Raleigh police arrested Marshall and his 17-year-old brother, Shabar Master Marshall, following a high-speed chase after the last home invasion in Raleigh's historic Oakwood neighborhood.
But defense attorney Deonte Thomas said the state has no evidence that points to Jahaad Marshall for any of the crimes.
"The cases you're going to hear and what you're going to decide is not based on fear,' Thomas told jurors." This case should be based on the facts and facts alone, and you need to analyze each case as we go through them."
In the Oakwood case, Zellinger said, the couple awoke in their bedroom to two men, who stunned them with a stun gun and forced them to lie face down on the floor as the men ransacked their home and robbed them of money, electronics and other items.
Eight days earlier, Curtis Lovick and his wife experienced a similar ordeal, he testified.
Lovick said he awoke in the middle of the night to a bright light in his face and two men – one short, one tall – wearing black ski masks standing at the foot of his bed and demanding he open a safe in the house.
The state contends the shorter of the two was Jahaad Marshall.
"I was scared," Lovick said, noting the last time he hadn't felt that fearful since he was in the Vietnam War. "When there was no money in (the safe), the whole atmosphere just changed. You could feel the tension in the house."
The ordeal lasted about 20 minutes as the two masked men plundered through his house leaving with some money and a silver .25 Raven pistol they found in a box on a bedside table, Lovick said.
Before they left, he testified, the shorter man sat Lovick and his wife sit facing a wall and then handcuffed them to their bed rail.
"I thought we were fixing to get shot," Lovick said. "I had already made my peace."
Instead, the robbers walked out of the room and left the house.
"The last thing (the shorter man) said to me was, 'You should have had a dog, man,'" Lovick said.
The men didn't leave in the Oakwood case, Zellinger said.
"They become frustrated and can't find enough money in the house," he said. "They're not satisfied. They're not leaving."
The Marshall brothers had already sexually assaulted the wife, Zellinger added, when the husband attacked Shabar Marshall and began what the prosecutor called "a fight for his life."
The woman managed to escape – sprinting to a next-door neighbor's home for help, and as she reached the steps of the neighbor's home, she heard the gunshot that hit her husband in his spine.
Police later found the .25 Raven – from Lovick's house – and a black .380 Llama stolen during a Dec. 26, 2012, burglary at a home on Hatton Way.
The suspects used both weapons in the Oakwood case, Zellinger said.
The stun gun, which was used on both couples, was stolen from the first burglary on Toccopola Street – also on Dec. 26, 2012.