Local News

Propane-gas explosion injures man

Posted November 20, 2008
Updated November 21, 2008

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— A man suffered burns when a propane tank exploded at his Moore County home Thursday night, officials said.

The explosion happened around 9:20 p.m. in the 600 block of Winding Creek Drive in Carthage.

The man, whose name officials would not disclose, had gas delivered earlier in the day for his propane tank. When he turned his heater on, it exploded, Carlton Cole, public safety director for Moore County, said.

A WakeMed helicopter airlifted the victim to the Jaycees Burn Center at UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill. An update on his condition was not available.

The man was home alone at the time of the explosion.

The blast was first investigated as a meth lab explosion, but no evidence of drugs was found at the residence, Cole said. The fire appeared to be an accident.

8 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • Reader X Nov 21, 2008

    Yikes, I just had my propane filled up yesterday. I better make sure my gas logs still have the pilot light burning.

  • twc Nov 21, 2008

    I had an experience with a gas over years ago. I turned it on, ran out of matches, came back, lit a match, and ended up on the other side of the room with no eyelashes or eyebrows. But no serious skin burns. Never have liked gas since!!

  • twc Nov 21, 2008

    wral was reporting it as a meth lab explosion last night along with the location.

  • anonemoose Nov 21, 2008

    I wonder if he had an older unit and he ran out and the valve was open. Then when the tank was filled, it started pumping gas inside and when he tried to light it, boom.

    I feel sorry for the homeowner. First he suffers incredibly painful burns, and then get accused of running a meth lab. 5 minutes after it was knocked down they would have known if it was / wasn't a meth lab.

  • starglow2005 Nov 21, 2008

    One of the other news stations said he was purging air from the lines. I don't see how the entire tank could have exploded without some source of ignition and all the facts aren't known as to what really happened. Hopefully the man will survive and recover from his injuries.

  • Iworkforaliving Nov 21, 2008

    Not a big fan of explosive gases being piped/pumped into my house.

  • familyfour Nov 21, 2008

    It's a shame they had to even mention the possibility of a meth lab...I guess it is so common place these days.

  • red355iroc Nov 21, 2008

    Eh..Meth lab...Honest citizen trying to heat his home...What's the difference? :)