Local News

Pot of oil sparks fire at UNC dorm

Posted November 16, 2009

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— A pot of oil sparked a fire Monday at the Ram’s Village student housing complex, 520 Williamson Drive, on the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill campus.

A resident of the complex called 911 at 9:22 a.m. after a pot of oil caught fire on the stove.

When the firefighters entered the residence, they found that a sprinkler system in the kitchen had activated and extinguished the fire.

Other student residents had already safely exited the dormitory upon hearing the fire alarm activated.

The fire damaged the stove and cabinets above it. The apartment received minimal smoke and water damage.

No one was injured in the fire.

At 9:36 a.m., another fire alarm went off at the Hinton James dormitory, adjacent to 520 Williamson Drive.

Firefighters found a burned trash can on the seventh floor "D” wing of the 10-story unit.

The fire had already been extinguished by the time firefighters arrived.

7 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • ScottW76 Nov 17, 2009

    These are college kids we're talking about. How many college kids get up in the morning and have enough ambition to make fresh doughnuts? Not exactly a quick process. Hashbrowns, maybe, but even then most would buy a toaster type or frozen hashbrown that can be baked or nuked.

    It was probably left over from another time and the wrong burner got turned on or something. Glad nobody was hurt and there wasn't any major damage.

  • thefensk Nov 17, 2009

    "Seriously, what were they frying [in a pot of oil] at 9 in the A.M.? "

    Ever heard of donuts?

  • sneeziegal Nov 17, 2009

    Ahh yes, those were the good ole' days. I lived in Cobb Dorm and I can't begin to tell you all the times (ALWAYS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT IN THE WINTER), that the fire alarm would go off. Always burnt popcorn or burnt clothes in the dryer....Sigh....I miss those days....NOT!

  • tarheelblue919 Nov 17, 2009

    every cook should have a fire extinguisher in their kitchen, know where it is, and be able to get to it fast. cooking is an everyday task, but can be dangerous. scott, hashbrowns are a early mornig food you need to fry :)

  • JuanGrande v3.0 Nov 17, 2009

    find whoever did it, boot them out of the dorms, and make them pay for the damages and fire dept visit.

  • ScottW76 Nov 17, 2009

    Seriously, what were they frying [in a pot of oil] at 9 in the A.M.? Did they have the wake & bake munchies and wanted to fry up some wings?

  • 6079 SMITH W Nov 16, 2009

    What were they doing? Defending the dorm against the Goth Invaders? Most folks COOK with hot oil.