Local News

Portable heater sparks Fayetteville house fire; man severely burned

Posted February 20, 2015

Map Marker  Find News Near Me


— A man was severely burned early Friday after a portable kerosene heater sparked a fire inside a home in Fayetteville, city officials said. 

Emergency crews responded to 113 Mary St. at about 1:15 a.m. The victim, 53-year-old, Charles McGrimmon, was taken to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center and later airlifted to UNC Hospitals. Information on his condition was not immediately available. 

About two dozen firefighters were needed to extinguish the fire. No one else was inside the home, which was destroyed. 

1 Comment

Please with your WRAL.com account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all
  • Wayne R. Douglas Feb 20, 2015
    user avatar

    Let us all pray for a complete recovery. Coming back from a severe burn injury, is extremely hard and painful. Most severe burn victims, will tell you that they prayed daily, to simply die. I know of one man, quite close to me, who received 3rd degree burns, over 90% of his body. He spent more than a year, having multiple skin graphs and being dunked into bleach/soap baths, on a daily basis. He had to go through maggot surgeries (maggots are still used in medicine) and was only allowed so much pain killer, otherwise he could have died from an overdose. He says that the pain meds never helped. He now leads a very productive life, with his wife, kids, other family and friends I pray this man will recover just as well as my friend. Godspeed sir.