Police say guard's shooting of armed suspect justified
Posted August 29
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Police in North Carolina's largest city say a private security guard did nothing wrong when he shot and killed an armed man last week.
The Charlotte Observer reported that Charlotte-Mecklenburg police have determined that the Aug. 23 shooting of 32-year-old Julian Anthony Harris was justified.
Police said Harris was shot after he and another man entered a sweepstakes business wearing masks, apparently planning to rob it. Investigators said Harris pointed a handgun at staff members before the security guard shot him. Harris ran into the woods behind the business, where he was found dead.
The guard's name has not been released.
The Mecklenburg District Attorney's Office will review the police department investigation and make the final decision about whether the shooting was justified.