National News

Police records: Accused church shooter threatened suicide, fought with girlfriend in past year

Posted September 25

— Police reports from 2017 show accused church shooter Emanuel Samson threatened to kill himself three months before was charged with killing one woman and shooting six others at Burnette Chapel Church of Christ.

The News 4 I-Team also has discovered that Samson was previously an unarmed security guard and may have been in the process of getting the license reinstated.

Records from the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance stated Samson held a license between January 2014 and January 2016 to be an unarmed security guard. The license expired in January 2016.

The I-Team has learned that Samson had taken a class on Friday as part of an effort to renew his security guard license.

According to a police report, on June 27, Murfreesboro police responded to a call about suicidal thoughts.

Samson's father, Vanansio Samson, told police that his son Emmanuel had sent a text to him early that morning stating, "Your phone is off, I have a gun to my head. Have a nice f****** life."

According to the police report, Vanansio Samson tried to call his son and could not make contact.

Police pinged Emanuel Samson's phone to an address in Nashville. The report does not indicate if Emanuel Samson was found.

On January 29, Murfreesboro police responded to a call of a domestic disturbance at a home on North Rutherford Boulevard.

The police report states that his girlfriend, Jeanna Ambrose, was arguing with her boyfriend.

The report cites Ambrose said that she believed Samson had cheated on her.

According to the report, at one point, Samson turned away from her and punched a small TV, breaking it.

The report also cites that Samson broke a small figurine, and when Ambrose tried to leave the room, Samson demanded that she talk to him.

Ambrose called police and Samson refused medical attention for his hand, and Samson left the residence.

On March 11, at 2:25 p.m., a police report indicates Samson called police, saying that he was trying to break all contact with Ambrose and claimed that she kept coming around.

Samson reported that Ambrose showed up and was banging on his door and that he was in fear of her because Ambrose had allegedly struck him before.

No threat or report of an assault was made that day.

Ambrose claimed in the report that she was coming to the house to pick up her things.

This is a developing story.


Please with your account to comment on this story. You also will need a Facebook account to comment.

Oldest First
View all