Planning on preschool next fall? It's time to look now
Posted January 8, 2014
Updated January 14, 2014
Many of the region's preschools are planning open houses and sessions for parents and prospective students over the next couple of months.
While fall 2014 seems like months away (and, indeed, it is), now is the time to start picking preschools. I'm talking primarily about half-day programs for babies to preschoolers, which often are held at local churches. We have a big database of local preschools in the area. Click here to check it out.
I asked Go Ask Mom's awesome Facebook fans to find out when local preschools have open houses. Here's what they shared with me. If you know of others, please share in the comments below or email me the information (include "preschool" in the subject line).
One note if you're in Orange County: Be sure to check out the Chapel Hill/Carrboro Mother's Club preschool fair, which is 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Jan. 18, at the Carrboro Century Center for lots of information about preschools in that part of the Triangle.
- Benson Memorial United Methodist Church's preschool in Raleigh has an open house 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Jan. 9 and Jan. 10. The school will offer some special activities for kids, including a meet and greet with Cinderella on Jan. 9 and puppet show on Jan. 10.
- Upper Room Christian Academy's preschool in Raleigh has tours 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., Tuesday through Thursday.
- Salem Baptist Church Preschool in the Cary and Apex area has an open house at 10 a.m., Jan. 17. The open house includes an overview of the preschool, a slide show of a typical day and a tour with age level teachers. For parents only.
- Beth Meyer Preschool in Raleigh has an open house from 10 a.m. to noon, Jan. 12.
- St. Philip Lutheran Church preschool in Raleigh will hold an open house 10 a.m. to noon, Jan. 15.
- Grow Preschool in Apex offers regular tours by appointment. Registration begins this month.
- Cary Presbyterian Preschool will have an information session and tour at 7 p.m., Jan. 14. Other tours are available by appointment.
- Preschool for the Arts in Apex has open tours on Tuesday and Thursday mornings.
- Ashebridge Children's Academy in Fuquay-Varina is opening soon with half-day and full-day programs. Tours available by appointment.
- Ashebridge Children's Academy in downtown Cary has a few openings, including its 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. preschool room (for ages 15 months and up). Tours available by appointment.
- Oak Crest Preschool in Youngsville offers a small nature-based, outdoor preschool with full and half-day care.
- The Grove School of Cary will have an open house from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m., Jan. 21. Tours also available at other times. Contact the school for more information.
Stir Crazy Moms in Durham has some preschool open house information on its site too (check the right hand column of the page).
UPDATE ... here are some more sent in by readers:
Pinewoods Montessori in Hillsborough will hold an open house from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Feb. 22.
Macedonia United Methodist Church Preschool in Cary is currently offering tours for the 2014-2015 school year. Appointments may be made by calling the preschool office at 919-859-9488. The registration period for the 2014-2015 school year begins the week of Feb. 3.
Cary Family YMCA preschool offers tours by appointment. Call 919-653-2371 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The preschool includes monthly field trips and monthly swim days or four-year-olds. Registration begins Feb. 4 for members and Feb. 18 for participants.
Greenwood Forest Children's Center offers daily tours. Registration begins this month.
Esteem Me Montessori & Creative Play in Cary will offer a free crafts and indoor play afternoon from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., Feb. 15. The center is at Cary's Waverly Place and takes place during the shopping area's Snow Day program. That afternoon, parents can learn more about Esteem Me's preschool and summer programs.