Plan ahead for winter power outages
Posted February 11
With the wintry weather moving in, here are some tips to do now before the possibility of a power outage.
• Fill up your gas tank. When the power's out, the pumps don't work.
• Hit the ATM for cash. Credit and debit cards won't be of use during a power outage.
• Charge cellphones and make adjustments to conserve the battery. For example, clear running apps,
• lower screen brightness and turn off Wifi until needed.
• Gather extra batteries for flashlights and skip open candle flames to avoid a potential fire.
• Keep the refrigerator closed. Foods will keep safely for about four hours in a closed fridge and about 48 hours in the freezer.
• To report a power outage, call 1- 800-POWER-ON or 1-800-419-6356 for Duke Energy Progress. If available, you'll get information on when the power is expected to be restored to your location.