The latest: Flood waters begin to recede but some roads remain closed
Posted April 25
Raleigh, N.C. — UPDATE: 12:30 p.m.: Old Oxford Road, Moores Mill Road and Kemp Road in Durham County were all closed Tuesday afternoon, but the county avoided more serious flooding.
In other areas, major roads closed included U.S 264 westbound near Zebulon, and U.S. Highway 15 in Creedmoor.
UPDATE: 12:00 p.m.: While some roads are reopening after a morning of persistent rain and flooding, other roads around the region are closing.
In Wilson County, N.C. Highway 581 northwest of Lucama is closed. Micro Road around U.S. Highway 301 in Johnston County and Lower River Road northeast of Sanford in Lee County are both shut down.
Roads around the Triangle are beginning to dry up after the rain ended, but some major thoroughfares are still under water. Creedmoor Road south of Glenwood Avenue near Crabtree Valley Mall is still flooded.
UPDATE: 11:11 a.m.: Some roads around the region reopened late Tuesday morning as flood waters began to recede.
Some of the roads in Raleigh that have reopened include:
– the 2500 block of Capital Boulevard
– One outbound lane of Glenwood Avenue
– Lumley Road at Rink Road
Heavy rains around the Triangle over the last 48 hours flooded some roads and prompted flood warnings for many counties.
Swollen creeks and typical problem spots around Raleigh caused the road closures after the area received as much as five inches of rain since Sunday. The rain will begin to taper off later Tuesday morning but won't completely abate until Wednesday.
Until the rain slows down, flooding will continue to be a problem.
"The flooding problems begin around the Crabtree Valley Mall area all the way down through Anderson Drive," said WRAL traffic reporter Brian Shrader.
Closed roads include:
– Inbound Glenwood Avenue at Creedmoor Road
– Creedmoor Road at Crabtree Valley Mall Avenue
– Crabtree Valley Mall Avenue
– 4000 block of Blue Ridge Road
– Lumley Rd at Rink Road
– Wake Forest Road at Hodges
– Atlantic Avenue at Hodges
– 2500 block of Capital Boulevard
– 2800 block of New Hope Church Road
– Sunnybrook Road at Wood Meadow
– Milburnie Road at Shanta Drive
– Harps Mill Road at Litchford Road
– Tryon Road between Anvil and Durham Drive
– Kemp Road near N.C. Highway 98
– Moores Mill Road near Bowen Road
– Snow Hill Road near Little River Elementary School
– Glendale Drive near Scott King Road