Local News

Man dies in Wilson County house fire

Posted March 4
Updated March 5

Firefighters said it took five hours to extinguish a blaze, at this home on East Wilson Street. which killed one person.

— A man who used a wheelchair was killed Tuesday in a house fire in Elm City that also injured his mother and grandmother.

Authorities said Naquane Farmer, 28, died in the fire that consumed the small, wood-frame house at 515 E. Wilson St. His mother, Angela Barham, 48, and grandmother, Alice Barham, 75, were hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries.

Firefighters said a leaky propane heater appears to be the cause of the blaze, which broke out about 7 p.m. It took firefighters five hours to extinguish the flames.

Tarsheka Hines, who identified herself as a cousin of Farmer, said he was paralyzed several years ago from an accident.

“I've known people's houses who have caught fire but nothing like this," she said. "This is a tragedy. We’ve lost someone who was dear to the community."

 

2 Comments

This story is closed for comments. Comments on WRAL.com news stories are accepted and moderated between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Oldest First
View all
  • Obamacare rises again Mar 5, 4:15 p.m.

    Wow, that sucks.

  • mcorson2 Mar 5, 2:34 p.m.

    So sad, prayers to the family and all involved.