Local News

One hurt in Wake Forest explosion

Posted July 20, 2013
Updated July 21, 2013

— A 54-year-old man was injured in an explosion Saturday evening at his home-based business in Wake Forest.

Wake County Sheriff Donnie Harrison said the man, identified as Paul Baldree, was burning copper wire and disposing of old fireworks at his pyrotechnics business – S & W Productions – when the explosion happened about 7:30 p.m.

Baldree was taken to WakeMed, where he was listed in fair condition Sunday morning.

Man hurt when fireworks explode in Wake Forest Man hurt when fireworks explode in Wake Forest

"It was quite an explosion," Harrison said. "It blew the window lights out of the house and damaged the trailer and some nearby things. The man is very lucky to be here, to be honest with you."

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives was called to the home business at 1354 Wait Ave. to investigate. Harrison said he did not think any violations were found.

Baldree's wife was home at the time but was not hurt, Harrison said.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all