Local News

One dead after Johnston County fire

Posted July 22, 2011
Updated July 23, 2011

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

Map

— A man who was burned Friday night when his home caught fire has died, authorities said Saturday.

Firefighters said a neighbor called 911 after seeing flames while driving by the home, at 2009 Hillside Place, off Wendell Road in Johnston County. 

The victim, whose name has not been released, was asleep at the time, authorities said. Neighbors said he and another man who lived at the home are migrant workers employed by a nearby tobacco farm. The other man was not home at the time of the fire.

fire Man injured in fire in Johnston County

The victim died at North Carolina Jaycee Burn Center in Chapel Hill on Saturday morning.

Firefighters think the fire was sparked by an air conditioning unit in the living room. 

"We're still trying to figure out what was going on," said Chris Perry, Johnston County fire marshal.

Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all