Local News

Officials: Two of three suspects in Durham bus prank surrender to authorities

Posted July 24, 2014

— Two teenagers who police say placed a bottle that exploded on a Bull City Connector bus Tuesday turned themselves in, and investigators may have caught up with the third suspect, Durham city officials confirmed Thursday.

Durham police said they identified the three suspects but did not release their names. Investigators are consulting with the Durham County District Attorney’s Office to determine charges. No arrests were announced Thursday evening.

Surveillance video captured the teenagers laughing as they placed something on the floor of the bus, said Sean Smith, general manager of the Durham Area Transit Authority. The contraption “popped” seconds after the teenagers exited the bus, Smith said.

"It made a loud noise. The driver pulled over, then you see liquid going on the floor,” Smith said.

The contraption was a chemical “bomb” spilling foam that caused little damage to the bus, Smith said.

No one was seriously hurt. The bus driver and a passenger were taken to a hospital as a precaution.

34 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • A cold, hard dose of Hans Jul 25, 2014

    View quoted thread



    Yeah, we did some pranks. I think we toilet papered a tree once. I don't think that had the potential to result in mass casualties, though.

  • A cold, hard dose of Hans Jul 25, 2014

    View quoted thread



    I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt of having a brain. No one is dumb enough to do something like this as a "prank".

  • A cold, hard dose of Hans Jul 25, 2014

    View quoted thread



    Attempting to detonate an explosive device on a bus doesn't equal terrorism?

  • A cold, hard dose of Hans Jul 25, 2014

    View quoted thread



    They very well could have been, had their bomb worked.

  • jackaroe123 Jul 25, 2014

    View quoted thread


    Just b/c you can draw lines doesn't mean everything is a connect-the-dot activity.

  • Naysayer Jul 25, 2014

    And I was so looking forward to their next trick.

  • goldeagle Jul 25, 2014

    So, what's the bomb made of? There was liquid and little damage to the bus. If the chemicals are of a relatively benign nature, that makes the bus an inappropriate play place. Sorry, that is not 20 years. If it is chemicals that are inherently hazardous, that becomes a (more severe case of) reckless endangerment and is a little worse. But still not 20 years. If it is a (real) bomb, or something that is intended to seriously injure the general public, then you probably get your 20 years.

    I don't expect juveniles to have the same judgement as 40 year olds, but I have probably seen some 40 year olds with judgement properly attributed to juveniles.

    Whether you like them or not, the State of North Carolina put a whole bunch of money into them hoping their lives would be worth something to the community.

    And even if they are young black males, you can't have a manslaughter charge without somebody getting killed.

  • 68_dodge_polara Jul 25, 2014

    View quoted thread



    Are you saying these kids are going to be murders? I'm sorry I have to call you out on this one. Do you fell this way because of some prejudice you might have against these kids?

  • croberts11117 Jul 25, 2014

    Bombs on bus today. Robbing college students and murdering them after forcing ATM withdraw tomorrow. Throw in killing a professor also. Durham should be so proud.

  • sunshine1040 Jul 25, 2014

    What would the charges had been if bus driver swerve in oncoming traffic and took out you sister or girlfriend? Then do you think it still would have been a prank. Sorry but the these teen look like they should be old enough to think and to know right from wrong

More...