Officials suspect bottle rockets sparked July 4 Hillsborough building fire
Posted July 5, 2016
Hillsborough, N.C. — A building in downtown Hillsborough sustained $30,000 worth of damage on Monday night when illegal fireworks set it on fire.
The fire at the Gateway Center, located at 228 S. Churton St., began around 7:20 p.m., according to the town. The building houses Weaver Street Market and Orange County government offices.
Officials said that the Orange County Register of Deeds office, located in the building, will be closed until Thursday.
Officials said the fire burned an area of the roof measuring 20 feet by 20 feet. In addition to the damage from the fire, the building's third floor sustained water damage. Portions of the walls were removed Tuesday in order to aid the drying process.
Remains of bottle rockets were found on the roof of the Gateway Center and in the parking lot between the building and Eno River Parking Deck.
Around 11 p.m., firefighters called Hillsborough police to report someone shooting bottle rockets from the top of the parking deck toward the Gateway Center roof. Authorities are looking at surveillance footage.