Residents of undamaged units at Raleigh's Link Apartments allowed back in
Posted March 30
Raleigh, N.C. — Residents of undamaged units at Raleigh's Link Apartments Glenwood South will be able to move back in beginning Friday, according to a company spokesperson.
Earlier in the week, the company told WRAL News that it had been waiting on city inspectors to officially deem the property safe.
Emily Ethridge, a spokesperson for the company that owns the Link apartments, said about 75 percent of the 204 apartments were not damaged in the fire.
“Grubb Properties is very happy to welcome our residents back to Link Apartments Glenwood South. We appreciate their patience and are grateful to everyone who helped us get the building ready in this time frame. We stand ready to do everything we can to help our residents have an easy transition back home,” Ethridge said in a statement.
There are also a few vacant apartments that were not damaged that residents will be able to move into.
The Link was damaged when a five-alarm fire engulfed an unfinished apartment building nearby on March 16. The fire spread to nine nearby buildings and forced evacuations. The Quorum Center and Link Apartments suffered extensive damage. A firefighter cut by glass is the only known injury from the fire, believed to be Raleigh's largest in almost 100 years.