Fayetteville officials hope new proposal will help control violence
Posted February 5, 2015
Updated February 6, 2015
Fayetteville, N.C. — Three shootings at three separate private parties in the last year caught the attention of the Fayetteville city council Thursday night.
Members passed a party notification proposal that would require residents to notify the city of a party, but community members are not sure a party notification policy would help curb violence.
"We want our kids to be safe, but how do we regulate that," Fayetteville resident Kevin Brooks said. "We are as close as it gets with curfews."
Councilman Mitch Colvin said the idea would be to have officers patrol the area and watch out for party guests.
Laverne Cox lives in Fayetteville. He said he understands why there should be a policy, but said there should be some boundaries.
"I understand if it is a party over 30 or more, I could understand why," Cox said. "Smaller parties under 30, I don't think we need such an oridance for that."
Police chief Harold Medlock said he hopes the policy would help his officers safely patrol the city.
"Whether it is a registration or a notification process, just so that we can keep officers aware of what is going on," he said. "I think it is very important for the safety of our children and of our citizens across the city."
Police said that while the notification would not be mandatory, they would encourage residents to abide by it.
According to officials, the policy will be reviewed before the council takes a final vote at an upcoming meeting.