Local News

Officials: Gasoline vapors caused fatal Rocky Mount fire

Posted August 21

Frederick Fasegha, and his 4-year-old great-grandson, Iziah Crews, were killed in a housefire at their Rocky Mount home on Aug. 18,2 014.

— A fire that killed a 63-year-old man and his 4-year-old great-grandson on Monday was started by gasoline vapors ignited by an undetermined heat source, officials said.

Investigators believe the blaze started after Frederick Fasegha was fueling a portable generator on the back porch of his Springfield Road home. Fasegha was filling the generator after storms knocked out power to the residence.

Family members said the boy, Iziah Crews, was found with his face pressed to Fasegha’s chest.

Fire officials advise residents to have battery powered flashlights available when storms knock out power. Candles and other open flame devices should be avoided, they said.

2 Comments

This story is closed for comments. Comments on WRAL.com news stories are accepted and moderated between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Oldest First
View all
  • knbrown13 Aug 22, 1:45 p.m.

    This is extremely sad to hear about; especially in the manner that they were found. I wish somehow the ending could've been avoided.

  • Anita Woody Aug 22, 12:12 p.m.

    This is such a sad story. I felt helpless for his wife when I saw her on the news . So emotional. I hope her friends and community come together to help her.