National News

Official: Suspect in custody in Boston Marathon bombing

Posted April 17, 2013

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— A suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings was taken into custody Wednesday in a breakthrough that came less than 48 hours after the deadly attack, a law enforcement official briefed on the investigation said Wednesday.

The official spoke shortly after several media outlets reported that a suspect had been identified from surveillance video taken at a Lord & Taylor store between the sites of the two bomb blasts, which killed three people and wounded more than 170.

The official was not authorized to divulge details of the investigation and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity. The suspect was expected at a Boston courthouse under heavy security, the official said.

A news briefing was scheduled later Wednesday.

Law enforcement agencies had earlier pleaded for the public to come forward with photos, videos or any information that might help them solve the twin bombings. Police also gathered surveillance video from businesses around the finish line.

The bombs were made from ordinary kitchen pressure cookers packed with explosives, nails and ball bearings to inflict maximum carnage, investigators and others close to the case said. But the FBI said nobody had claimed responsibility.

Investigators in white jumpsuits had fanned out across the streets, rooftops and awnings around the blast site in search of clues on Wednesday. They combed through debris amid the toppled orange sports drink dispensers, trash cans and sleeves of plastic cups strewn across the street at the marathon's finish line.

President Barack Obama branded the attack an act of terrorism. Obama plans to attend an interfaith service Thursday in the victims' honor in Boston.

Scores of victims of the Boston bombing remained in hospitals, many with grievous injuries. Doctors who treated the wounded corroborated reports that the bombs were packed with shrapnel intended to cause mayhem. In addition to the 5-year-old child, a 9-year-old girl and 10-year-old boy were among 17 victims listed in critical condition.

The trauma surgery chief at Boston Medical Center says most of the injuries his hospital treated after the marathon bombings were to the legs.

"We have a lot of lower extremity injuries, so I think the damage was low to the ground and wasn't up," Dr. Peter Burke said. "The patients who do have head injuries were blown into things or were hit by fragments that went up."

Dozens of patients have been released from hospitals around the Boston area.

At Massachusetts General Hospital, all four amputations performed there were above the knee, with no hope of saving more of the legs, said Dr. George Velmahos, chief of trauma surgery.

"It wasn't a hard decision to make," he said Tuesday. "We just completed the ugly job that the bomb did."

The bombs exploded 10 or more seconds apart, tearing off victims' limbs and spattering streets with blood. The blasts near the finish line instantly turned the festive race into a hellish scene of confusion, horror and heroics.

The blasts killed 8-year-old Martin Richard, of Boston, and 29-year-old Krystle Campbell, of Medford. The Shenyang Evening News, a state-run Chinese newspaper, identified the third victim as Lu Lingzi. She was a graduate student at Boston University.


Associated Press writers Jay Lindsay, Pat Eaton-Robb, Steve LeBlanc, Bridget Murphy, Rodrique Ngowi and Meghan Barr in Boston; Eileen Sullivan, Julie Pace and Lara Jakes in Washington; Paisley Dodds in London; Lee Keath in Cairo; and Marilynn Marchione in Milwaukee contributed to this report along with investigative researcher Randy Herschaft in New York.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • heelsrule Apr 17, 2013

    Bad information -
    "Breaking News: Federal authorities said no arrests have been made in the Boston bombings, contradicting earlier media reports that someone had been taken into custody less than 48 hours after the attack."

  • computer trainer Apr 17, 2013

    DHS says NO, FEDs say NO!, So, wonder what is happening?

  • ncsislamesauce Apr 17, 2013

    Now they're saying "NO arrests have been made."

    Typical journalism of today.

  • educateyourself Apr 17, 2013

    Well played media...well played. It would just be too hard to actually wait and report the news from official sources who are willing to...I don't know...give their names...than to just make up the news. Making it up is just more fun!

  • Paul M Apr 17, 2013

    Someone PLEASE get it right

  • C6-YA Apr 17, 2013

    There is now conflicting reports about the arrest.

  • jjones8468 Apr 17, 2013

    no arrest has been made per Boston PD tweet!!

  • outside_of_apex Apr 17, 2013

    There are, at the moment, conflicting reports as to whether an arrest has been made.

  • ncfemale1 Apr 17, 2013

    danimalfurry - I agree

  • Roland K. Apr 17, 2013

    hope so. if it's true, good work, FBI and other law enforcement agencies! If not, keep slogging away. I am certain they'll catch this coward.