Local News

No one ill after gas smell at Raleigh day care

Posted May 31, 2012

Map Marker  Find News Near Me


— Quick action by teachers at a Raleigh day care prevented a gas smell from sickening students there Thursday morning.

Authorities said a stove was left on overnight inside Foundations Academy, at 2823 Sanderford Road. Teachers smelled the gas, turned off the stove, opened windows and called 911.

"It quickly went from something that could have been serious to something that was not," said John Fanning, battalion chief for Raleigh Fire Department.

About 60 children and eight staff members left the building and sat calmly outside, but none showed any symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, Fanning said.

"Our teachers did a wonderful job remaining calm and keeping the children entertained with outside activities," Foundations Academy Director Dan'elle Allen said in a statement. "All the parents were notified and everyone is doing fine. There was no evidence of carbon monoxide."

Pat Hinton, whose daughter attends Foundations Academy, said parents were being asked to wait for wellness checks to be complete before taking their children home.

Students and teachers were back inside the building by noon. 

Foundations Academy day care Gas smell reported at Raleigh day care


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • beaupeep May 31, 2012

    "but none showed any symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning"

    Why would they? And a Battalion Chief made this statement?

  • Fx432 May 31, 2012

    I agree, over reaction. Does EMS know there was no need to test for CO? CO is only from the burning of fossil fuels, not the escape of fuel itself. More of an explosion hazard in great concentrations then anything, remedied by opening a window.

  • Jimmytwotimes May 31, 2012

    What an over reaction. turn the stove off and open the windows. sheesh.

  • NCMom10 May 31, 2012

    My child attends this day care but was not there today.
    A few things about this situation concern me

    This facility is opened 24 hours so, on occasion, they do have children there late into the night. Also, children arrive very early in the morning. On the sign-in sheets I see children signed in as early as 7:00 am. So, children could have been in the center for HOURS before being moved outside.

    The kitchen is LITERRALY right beside the Infant room. You have to walk through the infant room to get to the kitchen. Were the infants in their room the entire time?

    Lastly, it is being reported that there were 60 children and 6 adults that evacuated the building. From what I understand, all 6 of these adults were not teachers (working in a classroom).This means that the center was under staffed at the time of this incident (also known as ‘over ratio’). Had this situation been more serious, would there have been enough adults present to evacuate all of the children without incident?

  • shortcake53 May 31, 2012

    Glad everyone is well.

  • promethazine codeine lover May 31, 2012

    mis-leading ... talking about quick action preventing the kids from being sick... You mean common sense prevented the kids from getting sick...

    "Teachers smelled the gas, turned off the stove, opened windows and called 911."

    I bet they were still in the parking lot when they were 'sitting outside'