State News

State changes guidelines after ConAgra collapse

Posted September 15, 2009

— A North Carolina safety panel has adopted emergency changes to its guidelines in the wake of a fatal explosion at a Slim Jim factory.

The North Carolina Building Code Council voted Tuesday to alter its standards to require that workers who are purging indoor gas lines vent the gas to a safe place outside the building. It said workers should take proper precautions if venting is not possible, including the evacuation of nonessential personnel.

The June explosion at a ConAgra Foods Inc. facility in Garner caused part of the building's roof to collapse, killing three workers and sending dozens of others to the hospital. Investigators believe contractors installing a water heater vented natural gas inside the building, leading to the blast.

4 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • whatelseisnew Sep 16, 2009

    I always vent gas inside my crawl space.

  • Adelinthe Sep 15, 2009

    "The North Carolina Building Code Council voted Tuesday to alter its standards to require that workers who are purging indoor gas lines vent the gas to a safe place outside the building."

    Can't believe that wasn't in the code to begin with. sheesh

    God bless.

    RB

  • ranger4702 Sep 15, 2009

    uummm....DUH?!?

  • GWALLY Sep 15, 2009

    ..."The North Carolina Building Code Council voted Tuesday to alter its standards to require that workers who are purging indoor gas lines vent the gas to a safe place outside the building...."

    Seems like common sense to me...!!!! Wonder what the code said before the change...????