NC elections board dismisses McCrory complaint
Posted December 22, 2011
RALEIGH, N.C. — The North Carolina State Board of Elections has unanimously dismissed a complaint against the 2008 gubernatorial campaign of Republican Pat McCrory.
The board Thursday found no evidence of improper coordination between the former Charlotte mayor and an outside GOP group.
The board launched the investigation in October in response to a 2010 complaint by the North Carolina Democratic Party. The complaint alleged McCrory's campaign coordinated fundraising and spending efforts with the Republican Governors Association, which would be a breach of state and federal campaign-finance laws.
Gary Bartlett, executive director of the elections board, said officials found no evidence of wrongdoing.
Bartlett said board investigators are about 95 percent finished with their investigation into a second complaint against the McCrory campaign, but so far they have found nothing to suggest wrongdoing there either.
McCrory is running again for governor in 2012.