Former State Treasurer Richard Moore said Friday that he has decided not to seek the Democratic nomination for governor.
"I look forward to supporting our nominee," Moore said in an email to WRAL News. "I want to thank everyone who encouraged me to run this year and also express my gratitude to all North Carolinians for the privilege of serving them in the past."
Moore lost the Democratic nomination in 2008 to Gov. Beverly Perdue, who said last month that she wouldn't seek a second term so she could focus on trying to improve funding for public schools.
Lt. Gov. Walter Dalton, Orange County Rep. Bill Faison and former 2nd District Congressman Bob Etheridge have all declared their plans to seek the Democratic nomination.
Former Charlotte Mayor Pat McCrory, who lost to Perdue in the 2008 general election, is seeking the Republican nomination.
The candidate filing period ends next Wednesday.