Raleigh, N.C. — Lightning sparked a two-alarm fire that caused extensive damage to a north Raleigh home Friday evening, fire officials said.
Firefighters were called out to the fire in a single-story home at 1030 Ivy Lane at 7:02 p.m., according to the incident report. Heavy smoke was pouring from the eaves on all sides of the house when firefighters arrived.
About 40 firefighters labored to bring the fire under control by 7:45 p.m, the report states.
About half of the house was damaged, rendering it uninhabitable, the report states. The resident managed to escape safely, along with the dog and cat.
Extra crews were called out due to extreme heat on a day when temperatures reached 100 degrees.
"Not only are we concerned about serving the public and making sure they're safe, we have to do the double-duty of making sure our crew is safe," Raleigh Fire Battalion Chief Keith Tessinear said.
Firefighters took regular breaks and made sure they were adequately hydrated.