Clinton, N.C. — spokeswoman for Sampson County Schools says that an assistant principal accused of improperly searching a third-grade student has retired.
Susan Warren says Teresa Holmes indicated last month that she planned to retire at the end of the school year. Her last day was June 13.
Holmes came under fire this week after Clarinda Cox said the 28-year educator violated her 10-year-old son's privacy when she made him strip down to his boxer shorts and T-shirt on June 1.
Several students accused the boy of taking $20 from another student, and Holmes says she searched the boy because he had lied several times during the school year.
When she realized he did not have the money, she says, she apologized to him and hugged him.
The school system says Holmes was within her legal authority to conduct the search but that the decision to do so "may have been overzealous."