DURHAM, N.C. — Duke University and two of its police officers are being sued for the 2010 shooting death of a man following a confrontation at the school hospital's entrance.
The federal lawsuit, filed last month on behalf of the estate of Aaron Lorenzo Dorsey, alleges that officers Larry Carter and Jeffrey Liberto used unreasonable force when they shot the 25-year-old in the head
Duke has said the shooting occurred after Dorsey fought the officers and reached for one of their weapons.
The lawsuit accuses the school of improper supervision and training of its police officers.
The State Bureau of Investigation reviewed the shooting and then-District Attorney Tracey Cline did not pursue criminal charges.
Michael Schoenfeld, Duke's vice president for public affairs and government relations, said Wednesday that investigations found the officers acted properly.
"Mr. Dorsey's death was a tragedy, and our sympathies go to his family and friends," he said. "However, both internal and external investigations of the incident have found that the Duke officers acted properly and responsibly given the circumstances, and we intend to vigorously defend against this lawsuit."