Local News

Toddler killed in Wake County house fire

Posted July 2, 2011
Updated July 3, 2011

Map Marker  Find News Near Me


— A 2-year-old girl died in a house fire in southern Wake County Saturday morning, a spokeswoman for the sheriff's office said.

Zionnah Muldrow was in the home with her great-grandparents, grandmother and uncle when the fire broke out at 1108 Leach St., off Fanny Brown Road near Garner, around 7 a.m., spokeswoman Phyllis Stephens said. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

Family members said they heard a loud boom before the fire erupted. The Wake County fire marshal said a faulty electrical cord caused the blaze in the living room.

Three people suffered non-life-threatening injuries and were taken to WakeMed in Raleigh. Michelle Bridges, 43, was transported to UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill, where she was listed in good condition Saturday afternoon. Vangeleane Bridges, 72, was in good condition at WakeMed and John Bridges, 74, was treated and released.

Michelle and Eric Bridges helped Vangeleane and John Bridges to safety, but they weren't able to reach the child, family members said.

"(Eric) told me it was all he could do to get them out. He just couldn't get the baby," Muldrow's cousin, Ernest Leach, said.

Fire at 1108 Leach Street Toddler killed in Wake County house fire

Pretina Jackson, another cousin, said she "had a fit" when she arrived at the scene and noticed the girl was missing.

"I had a fit because the baby was the only one that was in the house," she said. "I was playing with her last night. We were playing. She was just such an angel."

Family members said Muldrow was a "happy little girl" with a pretty smile.

This is not the first time misfortune has struck the family. One year ago, one of Muldrow's uncles was killed in a car crash. The girl's mother, Erica Jasmine Bridges, is in prison serving a 1- to 2-year sentence in connection with a downtown Raleigh shooting that injured three people.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all