People look to salvage homes, rebuild lives in Micro
Posted April 25, 2011
Micro, N.C. — In the immediate aftermath of the cluster of tornadoes that razed parts of the state last week, relief organizations and volunteers rushed in to provide food and water for victims; but a week later, needs are changing for affected families in Johnston County.
For some, it's diapers and wipes. For others, it's a good night's sleep.
Sam Barnes came to volunteer at First Baptist Church in Micro right after the storm hit.
"I am very tired, but it's okay, it's a good tired," she said.
She said donations continue to pour in, but the stream of storm victims is slowing. What some families need now that they're trying to rebuild their homes and their lives simply can't be provided by the church.
"Our main focus is trying to get a place to stay," said storm victim Craig Foye.
Uprooted trees poked holes in his mobile home in the Beulah in the Pines community. He wants to salvage the place, but worries the damage is too great.
Foye doesn't have insurance and said he's forced to gamble on help from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
"I do not have a lot of answers. I have not had a good night's sleep," he said.
Next door, Vicente Rodriguez's home is still standing – but not for long. Rodriguez said he learned Monday that it was deemed unsafe and will have to be leveled.
He is not alone. Many people in storm-ravaged areas like Micro whose homes weren't taken by the tornado will be taken by a bulldozer.
"There are some of them that lost everything and they are starting over," Barnes said.