Local News

Fayetteville to issue IDs for access to storm-damaged areas

Posted April 18, 2011

— The Fayetteville Police Department is planning to issue identification cards to residents of storm-damaged neighborhoods and contractors hired to help with cleanup. Police said the cards will help authorities control access to those areas and limit the potential for looting.

Yadkin Road is closed between Santa Fe Drive and the Fort Bragg gate. Reilly Road is closed from Morganton Road to the Fort Bragg gate.

Residents can apply for a card Monday between 3 and 8 p.m. at two locations:

  • Hardee’s, at the corner of Morganton and Reilly roads
  • Ponderosa Shopping Center, at the corner of Yadkin and Santa Fe roads 

Proof of residency, such as a utility bill or driver's license, will be required.

Contractors slated to work in storm-damaged areas will need to go to the city Inspections Department at Fayetteville City Hall to apply for a contractor authorization form.

Police will check these new IDs at checkpoints at select neighborhoods.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • mpheels Apr 19, 2011

    This is already standard practice for communities prone to severe hurricane damage - Dare county issues re-entry passes to property owners and permanent residents so they can easily control access to the community immediately following a storm. Fayetteville is doing the right thing.

    smalldogsSTILLrule - have your brother send a notarized letter giving permission for you to access his property on his behalf, sent FedEx/UPS overnight. In the future, it's a good idea to have documentation if you are going to be the emergency caretaker of his property.

  • thepeopleschamp Apr 18, 2011

    "This tells me the FPD is just too lazy to patrol." smalldogsSTILLrule

    One reason is to keep looters out and yet you bash the only people that care about your property other than you. Go join FPD and tell us how lazy they are and show them how to do it better. Btw, they are protecting your junk while away from their owns homes during these storms. Just thought you should know.

  • Sherlock Apr 18, 2011

    What about the business owners and their employees in the area?

  • smalldogsrule Apr 18, 2011

    What about people like me. My brother who lives in Georgia owns a rental property in the affected area. I do most of the repair work on that home for him, but I do not live in that area and can not provide a utility bill or anything else, but i should certainly have the right to go and assess the damages for my brother. This tells me the FPD is just too lazy to patrol.

  • OCVFF Apr 18, 2011

    Sarge - I used to work in emergency services and we had a tornado touchdown in our jursdiction. ID badges are issued for the people that are authorized to be in those areas monitored by law enforcement. The ID badges keeps the looters out of the areas - not hardly a waste of money!

  • Fuquay Resident Apr 18, 2011

    Sarge, the residences aren't the ones getting the ID cards, it's the residents and contractors.

  • Viewer Apr 18, 2011

    Some military have their home state drivers licenses, not NC.

  • Axtel Apr 18, 2011

    I think it is for contractors hired to help with cleanup too. Childres under 15/16 years old do not have drivers licenses.

  • Sarge Apr 18, 2011

    waste of money. residences already have a drivers license with their address.