Local News

Raleigh mom's actions averted potential tragedy

Posted January 19, 2011

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

Map

— A mother’s quick thinking helped prevent a potential tragedy Tuesday when a fire broke out in her North Raleigh apartment complex.

The mother, who asked that she be referred to only as Mrs. Mohamed, said she was home around 2:30 p.m. at the apartments at 2300 Wesville Court when she noticed smoke coming from the electrical outlets.

She went to open the door to her apartment and says that when she did, she was greeted by a plume of black smoke.

Mohamed rushed back inside to where her 2-year-old son had been sleeping. She woke him, wrapped him in a thick blanket and threw him three stories from her apartment balcony into a bush.

She followed shortly thereafter.

“I was so scared. It was like a nightmare,” Mohamed said. “The only thing I care (about) is my son.”

Both mom and son were taken to a local hospital to be examined. She suffered a few bruises and scrapes. The boy was not hurt.

Mohamed says she feels very lucky to be alive.

Twelve apartments were damaged in the blaze, which fire officials say they believe was started by a young person playing with a lighter.

No one was injured, and the American Red Cross is assisting displaced families.

34 Comments

This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • NCTeacher4327 Jan 20, 2011

    smithtina--The mother was IN the apartment with her child...doors open both ways. She opened the door, saw a huge cloud of smoke, and she chose a safer way to escape.

    Think before you type.

  • smithtina Jan 19, 2011

    Was the child left home alone? If the mom was home why would she have to open the door to her apartment before she show the plume of black smoke. Just a thought :)

  • brucem Jan 19, 2011

    WILDCAT.... do you even know how to read? her kid was asleep! "Remember your words" what is that about? Stay off the sauce.... its showing on you !

  • hellorhighwaters Jan 19, 2011

    Someone only read half the article. Read it all. This woman saved her son from black smoke inhalation, and possibly death, and herself. She did the right thing. She got her baby out of that apartment before it was too late. Go head MOM!!!!

  • GoGreen Jan 19, 2011

    I think the GOLO crowd is just bothered by the fact a Muslim is heroic. This is not what the tea-party wants us to know.

  • serious Jan 19, 2011

    it's no use dogluv3r. Wildcat is known for not reading articles.

  • u stand corrected Jan 19, 2011

    She noticed smoke coming from the electrical outlets.

    She went to open the door to her apartment and says that when she did, she was greeted by a plume of black smoke....

    She did the right thing. Maybe SERIOUS and I can explain this to you wildcat...

  • dogluv3r Jan 19, 2011

    Wildcat, if you read the article, her child was asleep, not playing with a lighter. That was someone else's kid!
    Read, people!

  • u stand corrected Jan 19, 2011

    Twelve apartments were damaged in the blaze, which fire officials say they b-e-l-i-e-v-e was started by "A" young person playing with a lighter.

  • serious Jan 19, 2011

    @shaking my head...I dont think they do!

More...