Cary police investigate burglaries
Posted December 2, 2010
Cary, N.C. — Cary police are investigating three burglaries that happened Wednesday night in the Lochmere Village area.
Police said the suspects entered an occupied home in the 100 block of Bourne Wood Drive through a screened porch. A large, light- colored truck or SUV was seen leaving the area shortly after the incident.
Kim Huynh said her family woke up to find a TV and laptop missing.
"Sometimes we don't lock our doors when we leave because this is such a safe neighborhood, but we'll definitely be locking our doors now," she said.
Police said the thieves also robbed a home just around the corner on Vinecrest Court.
John and Gay Purvis live next door to the home that was robbed. They said it was the second home in this cul-de-sac robbed in the passed few months.
“This year has been rough,” John Purvis said.
Less than five miles away, a home in the 400 block of King George Loop was also robbed, police said.
Cary Police Capt. Scott Davis said it appears the thieves behind the crime spree were looking to make a quick score. He said neighbors need to be mindful of security with the holidays approaching.
Police offered these safety tips for residents:
- Make sure exterior lights are mounted so that burglars cannot unscrew the bulbs
- Use variable light timers and motion-sensitive lights to activate lights inside and outside your home
- Lock all door and windows
- Keep all trees and bushes neatly trimmed near doors and windows
- Make sure valuables are not visible from the street
- Work together with your neighbors on watching out for one another
- Call the police if you witness any suspicious or unfamiliar vehicles and pedestrians
Police said two similar burglaries happened in the Lochmere area in July. Investigators are trying to determine if those cases are linked to the burglaries on Wednesday night.
Anyone with information about these break-ins should contact police at 919-469-4324 or Crime Stoppers at 919-226-CRIME. Crime Stoppers pays up to $2,500 for the arrest or indictment of those responsible for committing certain types of crimes. All callers are kept confidential.