Local News

Two more cases of hepatitis B confirmed

Posted October 27, 2010

Map Marker  Find News Near Me

— State health officials on Wednesday confirmed two new cases of hepatitis B at a Wayne County assisted living facility, bringing the number of cases since August to seven.

Four residents at Glen Care of Mount Olive – ranging from 63 to 83 years old – have died from the virus, prompting public health officials to label the cases at the center as an outbreak.

It’s unclear the conditions of the patients of the latest confirmed cases.

Investigators have not determined a cause for the outbreak, but they say one possible mode of transmission could be through infected medical equipment.

Glen Care officials have declined to comment, but the company issued a statement last week, saying that it was working with Wayne County and state public health officials to find the cause.

All residents in the facility were tested for hepatitis B last week, health officials said, and Glen Care is offering free vaccination shots to those who are not immune to the virus.

Hepatitis B is a contagious virus that can cause severe liver problems, and it is typically transmitted by exposure to blood or body fluids. Symptoms include fever, extreme fatigue, loss of appetite, vomiting, dark urine and yellowish skin.


This story is closed for comments.

Oldest First
View all
  • dee2010 Oct 28, 2010

    As a previous worker at this place , it is disgusting . Med techs here only had three days on the job training and that is all they need to pass out meds. Residents do fool around with each other but also there was plenty of times when we didnt have gloves to change people. Some people did change people anyway. The administration would hide gloves or lock them away because they thought we were abusing the gloves and using them at the wrong times, which was crazy. You also dont have to have any form of medical training to work there. Anybody off the street could just come in and get a job, and as a person with my CNA am I the only only one who thinks there is something wrong with that? The administration is full of it and dont care about the residents or the workers. If your in this line of work you need to have a certain compassion for dependent people which obviously isnt happening. People need to stop going in there with blinders on and see this isnt right!

  • nomorethanthat Oct 28, 2010

    Pulstar40 consider who will pay the doctor for his/her services. Medicare/Medicaid will pay 80% and the patient is responsible for the remaining 20% of the charge for the visit. That 20% is often never collected and is written off by the doctor. Ask yourself how come nursing homes send their patients to the emergency room instead of having the resident treated by a doctor at the rest home.

  • Ladybug Oct 28, 2010

    Nursing homes, Assisted Care Homes, etc. need stronger regulations and more frequent visits from authorities that know what to look for. Gov. Bev - get to work on this!

  • pulstar40 Oct 27, 2010

    Absolutely outrageous. Even though these patients were elderly, didn't anyone notice these folks were sick? How quickly were doctor's brought in to help them? Or is this another case where they were left to rot, as we too often hear when it comes to nursing homes. Baby Boomers! Your time is coming quickly - now is the time to turn around the nursing home industry while you can.

  • Baybee Doll Oct 27, 2010

    This is outrageous.